Talking to Me

I see the mirror and think
I do not appreciate
I do not hate
But I think hard and long
I pull my shirt tighter to see how big the tummy bump is
Squeeze my chin to see if I can make it look like it's double
I pinch, slap, zoom in

I pause now
I think again
I listen to it
Talk

Speak to me
My body tells me when it is feeling afraid
The breath sharpens
The heart beats fast
It tricks me into slowing down by walking
It speaks to me when I close my eyes
To just breathe
I can feel the massive space inside my body then
How the direction of the breath relaxes the shoulders
How it then becomes strong to walk out
To live another day

Something singes
Burns hard through my tract
The brows furrow
The mouth purses
Again I can almost hear my heart

The unsaid response
To sound waves carrying unpleasant tones reaching my ears
Is given by this physical body
Sharp pain flashes from the heart's centre
To everywhere outward
Strong enough to stop any mental function
Strong enough to negate the very space I take up
The back stoops
The eyes turn downwards

How much this body talks
How much this body supports
How much it is more than mere skin covering you

It is the very expression of you.

Comments

Popular Posts