How to "keep in touch"?

Following from thinking about 'should I keep in touch?' (answer being yes, for now) to how.
Kind of sad and low, I'd thought it was all over by now.
Good that its not, in a way. It feels more human - that it actually did exist and I had not imagined it.

I think of the many Great Loves happening in the world in their varying degrees.
I imagine people going through the motions of getting hurt, worrying, getting up and moving on with their days. I imagine habits that people build around others, some for years and decades. Muscle memory is a tough thing to change. I think of the Hot Priest in Fleabag saying 'It'll pass'. 
Loss feels like such a personal thing, no it is personal. No matter that everybody feels it, its felt differently every single time.

I've checked myself from thinking about being lucky though, in love. For most people it seems to be a matter of timelines and phases. Phrasing it more carefully, I don't think that people in long-term romantic relationships are exceptionally lucky anymore. I think they miss out on other learnings that life offers. It seems to me that we are pre-destined to make certain choices because of who we are as people and how our mind functions. Call it fate, or call it our environment and brain chemistry.

On the other hand, 'work on yourself' is an overused meaningless platitude for uncoupled people. I was a great fan of it and it does apply to a lot, lot, LOT of people who seek to be rescued or have a life change on the basis of somebody but.. is this also not placing the responsibility on an individual only? I think it doesn't account for a lot of things. Is the reason why people who've been dating long term been doing it because they happened to 'work on being interesting people'? LOL, no. Does the work stop once you start having a partner? I don't think so. It, in fact, starts from the assumption that people are not already working on themselves. 

If I think about this all in terms of having a life experience, it seems possible to want and try it while also being fulfilled and engaged and happy in other areas of your life. You can make your life super happening and adventurous and filled with things that excite you but you cannot substitute life experiences for each other. In my opinion. You can be analytical and examine what adds or subtracts to your life and act accordingly but I don't think it's ever a perfect substitute. It's a close enough one. 

Nothing but thoughts. I suspect it'll all keep coming back with greater intenstity and regularity as my tiny circle starts to marry and have babies (!) because they'll start drifting too. Hopefully, this circular thinking won't be in nefarious waysss. It's already hard enough to balance expectations, my own thoughts, others' life choices and different realities.

Comments

Popular Posts