Conversations with Friends

 ".. It's sinister. Who wants state apparatuses sustaining their relationship?

I don't know. What is ours sustained by?

That's it! That's exactly what I mean. Nothing. Do I call myself your girlfriend? No. Calling myself your girlfriend would be imposing some prefabricated cultural dynamic on us that's outside our control. You know?

I thought about this until the film was over. Then I said: wait, so does that mean you're not my girlfriend? She laughed. Are you serious? she said. No. I'm not your girlfriend."

Review for book (3.5/5):

Sally Rooney's writing style really works for me. It's the whole process of discovery actually - where the characters themselves don't understand why they do what they do and slowly the layers peel back. It's a certain kind of hyper awareness. 

The ideas and conversations mentioned in the book also seem new and contemporary, things that actually do come up on a daily basis. Made the book more real.



Comments

Popular Posts