God of Small Things and Call Me By Your Name (and Find Me)

 I finished reading The God of Small Things a few days ago and the writing style reminded me of some other book I had read previously but could not place. I saw a YouTube video and remembered that it was Call Me By Your Name (by extension, Find Me).

I'll tell you why - all these books have some beautiful parts. Emotions run pages long and I could put myself in the character's place and think things. I don't remember much of CMBYN but the whole parts of Estha and Rahel's childhood and how they saw life was remarkable. It stayed because feelings became events and metaphors. I could never have expressed one single emotion so thoroughly (its done multiple times). With CMBYN too, it all seemed deep and expansive. Sometimes it's like oh falling in love must be it. Of course I loved this description of lives so unfamiliar to me. They dressed differently, ate differently and had different kinds of freedoms and constraints placed on them. The tiny details - the objectively insignificant incidents that become remarkable by staying with us and shaping us? Beauty A++. Jai Bhim movie kept coming to mind with GoST. It helped to imagine.

Yet with both of them, overall, I mostly stuck with 3 stars. It was not even the story that was the problem. GoST did good on that too because Sophie Mol backstory was not guessable. Honestly, I think it's because some of it went over my head. I don't know what meaning certain phrases had, let alone their significance. I Googled some of it to make it clearer. Especially the ending in GoST.

Find Me was honestly more of the same intensity but sometimes way too much of it. But perhaps the whole point of the book itself was that some of us think about life this way and some do not. I think I refrained from rating it on GoodReads because how to rate something I don't really get.

I'm starting the Dune trilogy now. What's the similarity between Dune and CMBYN? Visualizing Timmy as the lead for both haha. Honestly makes it easier to have seen some of these things! Although CMBYN is pretty useless without the book first. Okay bye!

Comments

Popular Posts